Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Bias Review

I'm supposed to review a book, place, or product. I am going to be bias and use this as an opportunity to "review" a start up company of some friends.

We live in a consumer world filled with social movements not everyone agrees with. We can, however, agree that we are in need of some sort of social change. Consumerism has become a norm through social change but it doesn't mean that it's always coinciding with the change we want. If it's not something were passionate about or believe in then we don't really want to waste our time with it.


I wouldn't consider myself a "gung-ho activist" (is that even a word?). I do however have products, people, and companies that I believe in and support. That's why I want to review/present Share Brands, Inc. I may be bias since I know the brains behind the company, but I'm also pumped about what they are doing.
Share Brands, Inc is a start up geared at initiating social change. Their idea is to change the way people view buying products, meaning buying with a purpose. The purpose fulfilling the human need of supporting through conscious commerce.





I get it, that all sounds so wordy. So, I'll break it down for you a little bit. Basically for every product bought 25% of the proceeds go to the connected charity. They offer a variety of products such as yoga mats, head phones, tote bags, dog collars phone cases, and tee shirts. Each color of product is associated with a certain non-profit/social cause that are all listed below. 

Red-       POVERTY, their current initiative is Friendship Bridge
Blue-      MEN AND CHILDREN'S HEALTH, current initiative is Project Angel Heart
Yellow-  FOR EDUCATION, current initiative Rays of Grace
Green-   THE ENVIRONMENT, current initiative TBD
Pink-      WOMEN AND CHILDREN'S HEALTH, current initiative Project Angel Heart



Currently, Co-founders, Justin Hoffman & Connor Knutson, videographer BC Serna, and my favorite friend Zach Payne are on a Bike Tour promoting Share Brands to companies in order to engage business, people, and nonprofit solutions. Follow the tour on Facebook

With all that said I should probably tell you what I think, if you haven't already picked up on the message. I believe in what they are doing. James 1:27 says were called to care for the orphans and the widows. Acts 20:35 says were called to care for the weak. He is the protector of the impoverished (Psalm 12:5) and I want to be a part of that. I may not be able to be hands on with these non-profits but I can definitely contribute to social change. I want to be used for His kingdom and if buying and wearing a t-shirt can be a part of that, I think its worth the investment. The heart behind the movement is important to me. I cherish the fact that they are wanting to make a change, and have been faithful to the Lord's calling. I'm happy to support Share Brands and all they are doing! 

--Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment