Friday, September 7, 2012

Is it fall yet?



I am obsessed with fall. I love everything about it. The fashion, the crisp air, apple picking, cooking soup, fall decor, the leaves...There's just so much to love. With the Kansas humidity in full force, unbearable running temperatures,  and being stuck inside my office building unable to make my daily visits to the pool ...enough is enough. I really love summer but I'm ready for change. 

I'm ready for baggy sweaters and cozy scarfs....










I'm ready for cool evening runs....











I'm ready to decorate....













I'm ready to warm my hands with giant bowl of  soup....


















I'm ready to host a harvest party....













I'm ready for crisp mornings to enjoy my morning cup....




















I'm doing my best to get you on board with my fall fantasies, but in case you need a little extra coaxing, today's post is a collection of a few of my favorite healthy and nutritious fall recipes. You know, the foods you refuse to make any other time of year because when you only make them once a year there's something magical about them.


Let's start with breakfast: My favorite meal of the day!


Apple Pie Overnight Oats
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 banana, smashed
  • 1 tbsp flax 
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • cinnamon
  • diced apple (microwaved with cinnamon and vanilla for 90 seconds)
  • raisins
  • peanut butter 


Breakfast would not be complete without your morning cup. Try this healthy twist on a pumpkin spice latte.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
  • 1/3-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • A few drops of Stevia
  • A few dashes of Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1/2 cup of STRONG coffee  
-Mix the milk, stevia, and spice. 
-Warm the milk either on the stove or in the microwave. (Sometimes I like to froth the milk in a magic bullet/ vita-mix)
-Combine coffee and milk and enjoy




then there's lunch... 

Sweet potato black bean wraps 

  • 2 whole Sweet Potatoes, Peeled And Cubed Small 
  • 2 whole Jalapenos Diced 
  • 1 whole Red Pepper, Diced Small 
  • 1 whole Red Onion, Diced Small 
  • 2 teaspoons Olive Oil 
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin 
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder 
  • 1 pinch Salt And Pepper 
  • 1 can Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained (15 Ounce Can) 
  • ½ cups Fresh Cilantro, Chopped 
  • 2 teaspoons Fresh Lime Juice 
  • 2 cups Shredded Cheddar 
  • 1 package Burrito-Sized Wheat Tortillas Or Wraps (6-10 Count)
 -In a bowl, toss your raw veggies in olive oil and season with spices. Place in a large baking dish and roast at 425 for 20 minutes, tossing around halfway through.
-Let cool. Add your roasted veggies to a can of rinsed black beans.
-Add cilantro and squirt of lime juice. Combine gently. 
-Warm your wheat tortillas  
-Add two heaping tablespoons of vegetable and bean mixture to center of wrap.

Finish the day with a bowl of soup for dinner...

White Chicken Chili

  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cups cooked chicken (I usually use an oven-baked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save on time), shredded
  • 2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
  • Kosher salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • 1 lime, juice
- In a large pot, saute the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
-Once the onion is done, add shreds of chicken, Great Northern Beans, corn, green chilies (with juice from can), cumin and oregano to the large pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
-Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and juice from one whole lime. (You can add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro if you desire.
-Leave simmering on stove until ready to serve.
-Serve with  chopped cilantro, avocado or flax tortilla chips.

And if you have a sweet tooth after dinner. Here's a guiltless dessert to try...

Fall Balls 
  • 1 cup almonds, ground in food processor
  • 1 cup oats, ground
  • 1 cup pecans, ground in food processor
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. 
- Add pumpkin, peanut butter, or chocolate for variety. 
- Form into small balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. 
- Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.
- I covered mine in chia seed for added crunch but experiment with other things like powdered sugar or coconut to serve a variety.




Last year I noticed a "fall to-do list" on Lauren's fridge. I thought it also needed to be included in the fall post!



Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. amen sister, i've been searching for fall high and low :)

    LOVE apple pie overnight oats, also a HUGE fan of sweet potato quesadillas - pretty similar to your recipe. thanks for making me drool this morning.

    ReplyDelete