Monday, January 28, 2013

New Year. New Resolutions.


Here we are, already the end January - 2012 is out the window and 2013 is right before us ready to be taken head on. I mean, really do we have a choice though? 2013 is going to happen weather we are ready or not, so let’s not waste a minute of it and make the most of every moment. 


Every year, I set New Years resolutions. Usually, I try to incorporate one spiritual goal, one physical goal and one fun goal. And sometimes I’ll throw an extra one in just for fun! Last year my fun resolution was to become a professional sound effects maker! Ask the girls, I am incredible at the whip (whaaapishhh!) But this year I wanted it to be different. I felt like there was more to be done and changed in my life and I was ambitious to pursue it- whatever “it” is. So, I wrote my best friends asking them to help me critically look at my life and truthfully speak into me about things I could rid my life of. The ‘not so pretty’ parts of me that I probably do not recognize but as best friends they could point out for me. This is a very challenging thing to ask of your friends; I was basically asking them to tell me my flaws. Ouch...this could get tough! But I prayed about it, and asked God to prepare my heart for what they had to say and that I would use it and actually make changes. 
Mekenzie wrote me a very heart felt challenging letter. It was full of truth and grace. It was one of the most life giving, life changing and God glorifying words I have ever read. The basis of her letter was, if you centered your life on 1 Thessalonians 5:16, what a difference would you see in your relationship with the Lord, your life and the woman God created you to be. Whoa! Yeah. Read the verse from that angle and I think all of our lives would change, dramatically. When life get tough, when cancer strikes my body, when I attend another dinner party as a 5th wheel, and when I see a girl at the gym thinner than me; what is my response. This year, I hope my reaction is to REJOICE always, PRAY without ceasing and give THANKS in all circumstances. 
My dear friend Holly also wrote me an incredible letter. A letter that I will keep for a lifetime. It was encouraging yet, very challenging. It’s ironic because the theme of her letter to me was very similar to that of Mekenzie’s. She reminded me of God’s perfect timing and that I can have a hard time trusting that. True. And that I need to be confident in that fact that God created me exactly the way he wanted me- In HIS image. I love that, but I do not do a very good job of living that. I need to seek Him more for my fulfillment of confidence and of strength and love. True, again. 

Reflecting on these letters, I realized one common thread. I compare myself in my mind- between girls who I see as more attractive, people with fatter bank accounts, and relationships that aren’t mine. I am not them and they are not me. Their life should not look like mine. I am rare- no one has my heart, my eyes or my incredible dance moves. With my new found perspective on life, I will rejoice, pray and give thanks when these thoughts and actions come into my life. It’s a very vague New Year’s Resolution but I think it’s exactly what my life needs. Newness, change and a different outlook on this amazing and great life that I have been blessed with. 

I have been encouraged and challenged by these amazing ladies letters. I am ready to cease this year. Bring it on 2013, I’m ready for ya!



“I am fearfully and wonderfully made...” -Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment