Friday, July 19, 2013

Sip on Summer


I’m not sure how you all feel, but to me it’s seems like it’s been an extremely hot summer. I cannot walk to my car without a bead of sweat rolling down my forehead. The humidity in Colorado this summer has been worse than I have ever known which turns my hair into a giant lions mane. Whenever it’s this hot, I find myself reaching for a cold beverage and wanting to sip on it all day long. Only problem is that most of the cold frozen treats are loaded with sugar and calories. Starbucks newest Frapacinno, Carmel Ribbon Crunch contains a whopping 580 calories and that’s just for a tall! If you want to stay on track for your fitness goals it’s important to make wise choices while enjoying your favorite summer beverage. Here are some healthy options and some of my favorites!


Cool lime Starbucks Refreshers: 50 Calories. 
This drink is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up and it is super light and refreshing (hints the name!) The fruitiness of the lime mixed with a little mint flavor is the perfect combination. Heck, it even has fresh limes sliced right into it! And with a Starbucks on every corner in America it’s easy to find this healthy treat. 



Iced Coffee: 5 calories (without cream or sweetener) 
It’s simple but I think it’s my favorite thing to guzzle down during the hot summer days. I usually add a little half and half to make it creamy and then take off to my next summer activity with my cold coffee in hand. 



Pomegranate Pick-me-up Smoothie (Jamba Juice): 170 Calories
I actually haven’t tried this one yet but it’s been on my mind all summer. It has 1/3 fewer calories, sugars and carbs than the regular smoothies so it’s one that I am willing to go out of my way to try!

Skinny Pina Colada: Appox. 150 Calories
I haven’t had a chance to make this yet, but it sounds incredible and super summery! The ingredients and directions are simple which is very appealing to me. This could be the perfect summer BBQ drink and you won’t have to worry about the thousands of calories most cocktails have. Careful though, this one might get dangerous- unless you want to be dancing on tables in front of your friends and family you better drink it slow!

Ingredients:
2 oz Barcardi Rock Coconut Rum
5 oz coconut water
2 oz pineapple juice
-Shake well with lots of ice. Garnish with a pineapple. Enjoy!



Vodka Soda with Lots of Lime: Appox. 60 Calories
-This is my all time favorite summer nights drink. It’s extremely refreshing because I add a ton of lime and the soda water gives it the fizziness that everyone enjoys. Not only do you save on calories with this drink but also on pennies. It’s usually one of the cheapest drinks to order at a bar or restaurant. 


There are a million ways to enjoy the summer- one of my favorites just happens to be drinking it through a straw. The flavors and fruitiness of most of these beverages can only be thoroughly enjoyed when it’s toasty outside, so do it now- take your bike for a spin and grab a cool (and healthy!) sip on the way. 

XO,
Er




No comments:

Post a Comment