Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Switch this, for that


If your anything like me I try to cut corners and save calories anywhere I can. As an aspiring chief in my own kitchen I have learned new ways to make some of my favorite foods by substituting for healthier alternatives. Since I have this desire to learn everything I can about cooking I want to learn from the best, which is none better than my mom. Easter is right around the corner and I wanted to be a part of preparing the meal. I was talking over the holiday dinner plans with my mom and realized that I can’t go an Easter without having deviled eggs. But my mom always makes it with mayo which totally grosses me out! This year I am excited to bring the same family favorite side this year with a new healthier twist :)  
Healthy Deviled Eggs
12 large hard-boiled eggs , (see Tip), peeled
1/3 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup greek yogurt
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives , or scallion greens
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
Paprika , for garnish
1. Halve eggs lengthwise with a sharp knife. Gently remove the yolks. Place 16 yolk halves in a food processor (discard the remaining 8 yolk halves). Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), relish, mustard and salt; process until smooth.
2. Spoon about 2 teaspoons yolk mixture into each egg white half. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
1. Halve eggs lengthwise with a sharp knife. Gently remove the yolks. Place 16 yolk halves in a food processor (discard the remaining 8 yolk halves). Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), relish, mustard and salt; process until smooth.
Spoon about 2 teaspoons yolk mixture into each egg white half. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Switch this, for that...
When baking you can substitute a can of rinsed and drained black beans for flour. This is especially good for people who are gluten free.


Substitute unsweetened applesauce for sugar. This is an important switch for baking when you are trying to limit sugar intake and cut calorie. While 1 cup of applesauce has 100 calories, a single cup of sugar packs more than 770 calories! You won’t regret this switch. 



Switch out butter for avocado puree. They are both fats, but VERY different kinds of fats but have nearly the same consistency at room temperature. Because of the subtle avocado flavor, it is best used in rich baking recipes, like dark chocolate brownies. 


                                       
                                     



When making frostings substitute marshmallow fluff for sugar and butter. It makes the perfect consistency for frosting while saving you tons of fat and calories. The fluff only has 40 calories and 6 grams of sugar in 2 tablespoons (and NO FAT!) while the same amount of regular frosting can pack up to 100 calories, 14 grams of sugar and 5 grams of fat. 








1 comment:

  1. REALLY? Black beans for flour? How does that work? Like if I'm making cookies, I just throw in a can of black beans? Do I mash them or something?

    ReplyDelete