Monday, March 11, 2013

A Break from Social Media

We are currently in the season of Lent, the Christian season in preparation of Easter in which many believers set aside time for the 40 days before Easter  for reflection on Jesus, his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection. It is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline.

Although I am not Catholic, I still like to observe Lent in some capacity in order to try to be more disciplined and re-focus my faith by giving something up. In years past I have done "easy" things, such as ice cream, coffee, desserts,etc. Things that were hard, but didn't necessarily challenge me.This year however, after speaking with my LA-actress-ridiculously-spiritually-wise friend Erin,  she challenged me to give up social media with her.My first reaction? No way. Not possible. How could I do that? Facebook and Instagram? Those were my 2 go-to time killers. At work, at home, out and about anywhere. They are my clutch. I would be SO disconnected. How would I know what was going on in the world?

An over-reaction? Maybe. But these reactions are exactly what made me realize I HAD to do this. I HAD to give up what was hard, what was becoming an all-too-time-consuming act. I HAD to let go of these things that I found myself going to daily for comparison, judgment, and self-affirmation. I was looking to these places for my self-worth, instead of to the One who I needed it from the most.

"Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." -1 Peter 3:4

 It was becoming unhealthy. And although all of this is hard to admit, I knew it had to be done. 40 days, thats it. How could it be that hard? Well, it was. And still is. It was harder at first to break my routine of instantly pulling up my Facebook when I got to my office. Checking my Instagram feed as soon as I plopped on the couch after a day of work. But now? Now I'm getting the hang of it. I don't instantly feel the need to see who's status' have changed, who's posted cute new pics on Instagram, or who 'liked' my pictures.

                                            

And I don't feel as out of the loop as I thought I would. I'm having more real conversations with my friends and husband. I have more time to get in the Word and pursue relationships. I'm not worried about getting the perfect picture and filter of the meal I just made, or how many people commented on it. Sure, I miss it. And yes, I will go back to it. But this time with a new set of eyes, and a new heart. Eyes that (hopefully) won't get so wrapped up in OTHER people's lives, but more able to look at my own and better it. A heart that won't be so sensitive to feeling less about myself because someone else posted a picture of a group of people hanging out without me, or thinking about how much better their life looks from the outside.


Believe me when I say I don't think there is anything wrong with these sites, I love them as much as the next person. But my heart needed to be checked. I needed to step away and re-evaluate myself and my motives. About halfway through Lent, I am encouraged. And I hope you are too should you ever choose to take a break from social media. I challenge you to try it sometime Take it from me, it can do wonders for you!


-Lauren


*Check out this amazing post by my Cali-friend Erin about Christianity and Hollywood here

1 comment:

  1. I could not be more proud of your boldness and self-control, baby. And you know it when I say, I support you all the way with this endeavor. I love you.

    ReplyDelete