Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Forever Kind Of Friday Night...



I woke up on Friday morning and shuffled out of bed for my usual morning workout. I ran a couple laps around Wash park and headed home. My phone buzzed with the normal group text from Lauren and Erin as we exchanged post workout selfies. Work took me to the zoo that day so I dressed comfortably, ready to sit in the sand with Brady and quite prepared for peanut butter smears at lunch.  Lee's sister and her family were flying in on Saturday so our weekend plan was to head up to Fort Collins that night to pick up their transportation.  Since we were already going to be in Fort Collins, Lee was going to go to dinner with a friend while I had planned on a  patio date with Erin. After work I speedily ran home to grab a couple of things, but didn't have any time to change or freshen up. I figured Erin would understand my babyfied look that Friday. The car ride to Fort Collins was nothing out of the ordinary, Lee and I caught up on the day's activities as I sat completely unaware of what was about to happen. The plan was to stop off at Highland Meadows Golf Course in Windsor on the way up. I was told Aaron, one of Lee's friends was there finishing up a round of golf, but had driven the car we were picking up to the course so it would be convenient for us to grab it before meeting up with our friends. Once we pulled up to the golf course, Lee hopped out and said he would just run and grab the keys really quick. 20 minutes later I was still sitting in the car….still oblivious. Lee was apologetic when he returned. He said Aaron was finishing his round, but wanted to say hi so I hopped out and followed Lee to a cart parked outside the clubhouse. Good thing I know little about golf.  Hopping in a random cart and heading out onto the course seemed normal. It was beautiful out. It was around 6:45 on the first day of summer, hot and sunny and competleley breathing taking. Lee pulled over to a spot on the first hole right by water and a great big tree. He got out and started pulling something off the back of the cart. Still oblivious, I asked if we were just planning on waiting for Aaron there. As Lee set up a chair that had been strapped to the cart he said "I need to apologize for a string of lies I have been feeding you." Thats when I knew what was happening. My heart started racing and things were dawning on me by the second, I was standing on the first hole of the golf course Lee and I met at three years ago, Aaron was no where to be seen, and I think Lee is going to propose right now….


This is the spot! 
He sat me down and asked me to read a passage from John. As I read he began to wash my feet. 

 John: 13: 5-7, 12, 14, 15 
"Then Jesus poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, Lord do you wash my feet? Jesus answered him, what I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand. When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, Do you understand what I have done to you? If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have give you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you." 

The next passage was read by Lee. 

Ephesians 5:25-33 
"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. 

Lee shared his heart and plans for our future and marriage. He talked about his journey and he said all kinds of really wonderful and thoughtful things about me and our relationship and just like that he was down on one knee ring box in hand asking me to be his wife. 

From the start, Lee has been clear about his intentions with our realtionship. He has made sure the Lord is the center of our relationship. He has made it obvious over and over again that his desire is to serve me and honor me in a way that glorifies the Lord and love me the way Christ loved the church. This same heart and intention in our relationship was so beautifully reflected that night in his proposal. It was far beyond anything I could ever think up or dream of. I can't wait to marry Lee. I can't wait to be his wife. I can't wait to come alongside other couples together for accountability, community, and fellowship. I can't wait be a part of his incredible family and I can't wait for him to be a part of mine. I can't wait to serve together and to learn and re- learn ways in which to love each other and serve one another better each day. 

THE HAPPIEST GIRL



Surprise engagement party after the proposal!

Some of our dearest friends! 





Lee custom made my ring through a jeweler in Arizona. He did SUCH a great job. I love it so much!



~ Mekenzie 

6 comments:

  1. congrats to both of you- awesome story! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I've been checking every day waiting for the story and all the sweet details. What a romantic and God honoring proposal! This man sounds like a perfect fit for you! What a fun, crazy, wildly beautiful season you are in. Marriage is God's second greatest idea and I know you will love every second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Love the story, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good times!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete