Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Protein Pancakes

If you read health and fitness blogs, you will discover an outpouring of recipes for a delicious little thing called Protein Pancakes. If you haven't heard of them, let me introduce you. Protein pancakes are basically a healthier version of your favorite Saturday morning breakfast. They fill you up, KEEP you full, and add to your daily dose of protein.

 I will admit that at first I was skeptical. Pancakes? As a healthy breakfast? No way. But once I did some research and found dozen of recipes all over the blogosphere, I knew I had to try. The verdict? Delicious.

Here is the recipe I used:

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes (serves 2)
1/2 cup oats
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 scoop of protein powder (I use Sun Warrior)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix using an immersion blender or food processor. Cook on a skillet like you would normal pancakes. So easy!

The topping choices are endless: sliced bananas, maple syrup, peanut butter, agave nectar, etc. Be creative!

Use your favorite toppings!

Disclaimer: While delicious and nutritious, these cakes don't have quite same texture as regular buttermilk pancakes. They are still fluffy, but very dense and chewy.

The recipes are so versatile. You can add mashed bananas, greek yogurt, pureed pumpkin, cottage cheese or other delicious flavoring ingredients. Here are links to some other recipes that I can't wait to try!

Greek Yogurt Pancakes

Banana Bread Protein Pancakes

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

The Fitnessista's Perfect Protein Pancake

And how ironic is it that I after I wrote this blog, I discovered it is National Pancake Day! Make some for dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment